Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Making items such as hat, mittens, even sweaters more warm

How to insert thrums into knitting/crocheting  is page I recommend to get the basics of this. It is inserting bits of roving, carded but not spun fiber, into a project.  This technique is described for using bits of roving. 

I like to use long pieces of roving which I carry along the back of the knitting, just like you would another color yarn.  This makes another layer of fiber on the inside of the garment, somewhat like a lining, while creating the pattern on the outside.  These fibers, especially of animal origin (wool, mohair, angora) will eventually felt from being warm.  I've made some really warm mittens using this technique. It may help to understand what I am talking about if you check out the link on how to insert thrums.

No comments:

Post a Comment